Jim McNiece is proud to have been a member of the State Board since 2012 and to serve as its current chair. The State Board of Education has general supervision of public schools, educational institutions and all the educational interests of the state except those functions given to the State Board of Regents. The Board also appoints the Commissioner of Education.
Its goals include:
- Provide a flexible and efficient delivery system to meet our students’ varied and changing needs
- Provide an effective educator in every classroom
- Ensure effective, visionary leaders in every school
- Promote and enourage best practices for early childhood programs
- Develop active communication and partnerships with families, communities, business stakeholders, constituents, and policy partners
And its outcomes for measuring progress include:
- Kindergarten readiness
- Individual plan of study focused on career interest
- High school graduation rates
- Postsecondary completion / attendance
- Social / emotional growth measured locally
State of Kansas Districts
The State Board of Education is comprised of 10 elected members representing 10 districts across the state. Jim McNiece represents school districts located in south central Kansas, including a portion of Wichita.